Fall is in full swing, and it's the best time of the year for sports fans, especially football. Tailgating has been a long-time part of American sports culture, and it is a wonderful way to bring people who share the same interests for delicious food and fun games before the sporting event starts. With thousands of people gathered in one spot, it can be a little hectic. To ensure you stay safe during this sporting season, please follow these eight tailgating safety tips:
- If you're attending an NFL game, the crowds of people can exceed 60,000. So if you're driving around a tailgating zone, please be extra attentive to your surroundings. There are going to be pedestrians everywhere!
- We all know many people consume alcohol at sporting events. If you plan to do so, we highly urge you to have a plan. Make sure you have a friend or family member that can be the designated driver. You should never drink and drive!
- Don't grill too close to your vehicle. Cars are powered by gasoline, so your grill can become a fire hazard if you place it too close to cars.
- If grilling, practice basic food safety. Let's face it: you don't want a bad case of food poisoning afterward. The cooking area should be clean and sanitary, and you need to make sure that each item is cooked entirely to the proper temps. Also, if you have food sitting out for more than two hours, throw it away.
- Never leave the grill unattended. Kids and pets tend to run and play while the adults talk football. You don't want them to bump into your grill, causing an injury.
- For a tailgate, plastic cups/bottles are better than glass. Though it may not be the most eco-friendly option, glass can break and become a hazard. It can even pop your tires on the way out.
- Don't leave any valuable items inside your car during the game. Theft is an unfortunate reality we have to face.
- Pack a portable charger with you just in case your phone or speakers die.
If you're participating in tailgating with your friends and family this fall, please consider following our safety tips so that everyone can have a fun time! Before you head to the big game, please consider visiting Avid Autowerx to get any services or repairs you've been putting off. You can call us at (513) 657-2386 if you have any questions or concerns.