Your auto is a huge investment, and while it’s not likely that you will ever (usually!) earn any returns, you absolutely want to get the most out of it for as long as possible. Preventative maintenance will help you get the best performance along the way and has the potential to greatly increase your car’s longevity. Preventive maintenance is like getting a checkup at the doctor. It allows you or a professional to catch small problems before they turn into much bigger ones and puts you in the driver’s seat instead of forcing you into a corner. Proactive versus reactive is always a better position.
Here’s a healthy preventive maintenance checklist:
- Regular oil changes with the interval depending on many factors: how hard you drive, mileage, specific recommendations found in your owner’s manual, etc.
- Checking fluids: wiper, coolant, power steering, transmission.
- Belts, hoses, chains: look for wear and tear, cracks, holes, etc.
- Tires: regularly check air pressure as well as tread depth and general wear and tear on the sidewalls too.
- Filters: engine and cabin to help keep debris and smells out of where they don’t belong.
- Battery: check the battery level and keep it clean from corrosion build up (keep jumper cables at the ready!)
- Windshield wipers: don’t wait until they stop wiping your windshield clean!
- Keep your car clean on the inside and out: not only will that make you feel good, but it will also help extend the life of your paint and your interior helping with resale at some point.
Preventative maintenance can save you tons of money in the long run as well as keep you, your passengers, and others on the roadways safe. There is not one thing you can do to or for your auto that will help it more than a regular preventative maintenance schedule. By understanding these basic things about your car you can take better care of it and make it last longer. If you ever have questions or concerns about your vehicle stop into Avid Autowerx and we will help you out! Make your appointment today!